Monday, October 21, 2013

You care-o but now you ain't got no dinero. The Cost of Service.

This is an ongoing list of my out of pocket expenses for joining the Peace Corps. The point of this post is not to complain but to list the reality of how much it costs to serve.

Note: I do not have medical insurance so my costs may be different than yours. Also I am not accounting for Peace Corps cost share in these prices.
Tip: Ask if medical offices offer a cash discount. Talk to them about your situation and the fact that you are joining the Peace Corps. Many places might increase the discount.

Pre-invitation costs:
-10$ finger print cost.
-25$ UPS fee to mail finger print card.
-75$ in gas to get to my interview (that was 3 hours away in winter in Montana)
-100$ hotel room the night before my interview. Due to it being winter I went the night before because it was unsafe to drive during the dark hours. 

Pre-departure Fees:
Passport Fees:
-25$ processing fee. This will be reimbursed. 
-30$ for two sets of Passport pictures needed for Visa and Passport application.
-30$ UPS fee to mail Passport and Visa application.
Dental:
-220$ exam and xray fee.
-1900$ dental work that needs to be complete before submitting paperwork. This includes a 600$ discount that my dentist office offered me.
Medical:
-215$ yellow fever shot.
-146$(50% discount was given) for exam and pap.
-548$ lab work.
-68$ booster shots
-15$ TB test 

This list is a work in progress and will have more added to it as they happen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment