Friday, November 1, 2013

Why not.

I have decided that I am going to use my service in the Peace Corps to better myself as well as the community that I am in.
I am not going into this experience with any expectations. I have learned over the years that expectations lead to disappointments. So rather than having expectations I am setting myself some goals of things I would like to work on while I am there. I am posting them here to hold myself accountable for them.

From what I have read through miscellaneous blogs I keep seeing over and over again that volunteers have A LOT of free time.  So why not put this time to good use?

Goals:
-Get into the best shape of my life.
-Learn Amharic and Spanish. If I am already learning a second language might as well learn a third right?
-Read as many books as possible. There are so many books that are considered to be classics that I have yet to even touch. I hope to change this.
-Never say no. I want to take this opportunity to experience as many new things as possible. If I say no I am just limiting myself.
-Get as many people in the States involved in my service as possible. This can take shape in many ways from becoming pen pals to having them help me with community projects.
-Determine if grad school is right for me and if it is what area I would like to study.
-Travel to as many new places as possible.
-Experience different cultures within Ethiopia by traveling to see as many other volunteers as possible.
- Keep a journal/blog updated so that when my service is over I can adequately remember everything that happened.


No comments:

Post a Comment