Wednesday, August 20, 2014

I've looked at clouds from both sides now.

If I would have posted a blog last night it wouldn't have looked like this. It would of been angry and not a fair representation of the situation.
Am I hurt that some one broke into my hotel room and stole my laptop, camera, and my friends camera? Of course I am.
Do I wish any harm to the person who did it? No.
After living in an area of extreme poverty for a little over 6 months now I find myself  trying to look at things from both sides. Here in Ethiopia the punishment for theft is pretty hefty. For someone to be willing to risk that punishment for a laptop means to me that they must be pretty desperate. Life here is very difficult. Last night I felt very angry and hurt. Violated even. Upset that a someone from a country that I have grown to love so much would steal from me. And then today at my physical therapy appointment the ladies who help me figured out that I spoke some Amharic and oromifa. The usual clintal of the clinic are wealthy Ethiopians and foreign diplomats. The diplomats usually take a total of zero minutes to learn the language and so the ladies got very excited. They told me over and over agin how much they appreciate me trying to learn their language.
I'm not going to let little things like material possessions get in the way of why I am here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment