Thursday, June 26, 2014

For a moment like this, some people wait a lifetime.


This week I experienced a glorious moment. It was as the sun was breaking out of the cloudy cage it had been imprisioned too , electricity was present, and the water was running. 
Now let me just say in my small town that is not an average day.
So I like to think that the stars were aligning for something great. And they did just that. As I was walking to my office that is a total of 5 minutes from my house it happened.
Are you sitting on the edge of your seat yet?
Wondering what could be so amazing that it has an epic build up like this? Well ladies and gentlemen I am here to tell you.  This week on the splendid day described above I Andrea Spake did not get called Ferenji once by a single child who passed by me. Instead I was called Andrea or nothing at all. Now to those of you back home this may not seem like a big deal. Youre like woah Andrea cool story. But seriously this is like me being the captain of a one woman army that has single handedly changed the mind of an army of 100’s. To lay down their weapons and become friends.  Being called ferenji everyday by the majority of the people you walk by starts to wear on you after awhile. But on this particular day during the 5 minute walk that usually has me feeling defeated before my day even begins I won. I was victorious.  I was Andrea. Not the random white girl who lives in their town. Not a source of money (even though I never give children here money). But a friend.
 
 

1 comment:

  1. How wonderful Andrea! I knew you could win them over!

    ReplyDelete